Old tires are a great place for mosquitoes to breed. Help us eliminate breeding sites by bringing your old tires to one of our tire drives. The photo at the left is a portion of the tires collected during one of our weeklong tires drives. These tires are collected and taken to Environmental Rubber Recycling in Flint, Michigan to be shredded. The shredded material is then used in many products. Chips of shredded tire rubber are used as fill in engineering projects. More finely chipped and screened tire rubber is used in playground and landscaping mulch. Crumb rubber is used to make better asphalt, while rubber mixed with urethane is used to make athletic track surfaces and a variety of molded products.
SCMAC is no longer accepting tires for this season. We will begin accepting tires again on May 1st, 2015.
Tire Drive Acceptance Policy
- Only 10 tires per household
- Must have proof of Saginaw County residency (such as a license, state ID, or property tax statement.)
- No tires on rims
- No tires accepted from businesses
- Only passenger, truck, and farm tractor tires are accepted
- Oversized tires are NOT accepted at the tire drive sites. Criteria for an oversized tire is any tire whose height and width totals greater than 60 inches. Typically a tire whose measurements are greater than 60 inches is difficult to manually move at the collection locations. For disposal of these tires, please contact our office to schedule a drop-off time at our facility.
Residential Tire Recycling
In 2004 legislation was passed in Michigan making it illegal to dump used tires into landfills. This has caused an increase in tires found in ditches, fields, woods, and backyards. Since 2004 the Mid Michigan Solid Waste Authority and the Saginaw County Mosquito Abatement Commission (SCMAC) have worked together to help eliminate old tires across Saginaw County. The Mid Michigan Solid Waste Authority had provided a grant to help offset the cost of collecting and disposing of old tires. This funding will no longer be available after the 2014 season. Saginaw County Mosquito Abatement Commission will continue to collect and recycle used tires, but only at our tire drives and at our office, at 211 Congress.