Old tires are a great place for mosquitoes to breed. Help us eliminate breeding sites by bringing your old tires to one of our tire drives. The photo at the left is a portion of the tires collected during one of our weeklong tires drives. These tires are collected and taken to Environmental Rubber Recycling in Flint, Michigan to be shredded. The shredded material is then used in many products. Chips of shredded tire rubber are used as fill in engineering projects. More finely chipped and screened tire rubber is used in playground and landscaping mulch. Crumb rubber is used to make better asphalt, while rubber mixed with urethane is used to make athletic track surfaces and a variety of molded products.
SCMAC tire recycling has ended for 2016.
We will again be recycling tires beginning May of 2017
Drop Off Tires at SCMAC (revised December 2015)
- Saginaw County Residents ONLY - Must have valid Michigan ID or Driver's License
- 10 Tires TOTAL per property owner, per year
- No tires on rims
- No businesses or other revenue generating enterprises - Includes Agriculture and Contracting Operations
- Car, truck, motorcycle, bike, and small household tires ONLY
- SCMAC does NOT accept Semi, Tractor, or Heavy Equipment Tires.
SCMAC will be hosting 2 - week long tire drives again in 2017. The following are the dates and locations for our tire drives.
Residential Tire Recycling
In 2004 legislation was passed in Michigan making it illegal to dump used tires into landfills. This has caused an increase in tires found in ditches, fields, woods, and backyards. Saginaw County Mosquito Abatement Commission will collect and recycle used tires through our tire drives and at our office, at 211 Congress.