Old tires are a great place for mosquitoes to breed. Help us eliminate breeding sites by bringing your old tires to one of our tire drives. The photo at the left is a portion of the tires collected during one of our weeklong tires drives. These tires are collected and taken to Environmental Rubber Recycling in Flint, Michigan to be shredded. The shredded material is then used in many products. Chips of shredded tire rubber are used as fill in engineering projects. More finely chipped and screened tire rubber is used in playground and landscaping mulch. Crumb rubber is used to make better asphalt, while rubber mixed with urethane is used to make athletic track surfaces and a variety of molded products.
SCMAC is no longer accepting tires
for the 2013 control year.
Tires can only be accepted from
May1, through August 31 every year.
Tire Drive Acceptance Policy
- Only 10 tires per household
- Must have proof of Saginaw County residency (such as a license, state ID, or property tax statement.)
- No tires on rims
- No tires accepted from businesses
- Only passenger, truck, and farm tractor tires are accepted
- Oversized tires are NOT accepted at the tire drive sites. Criteria for an oversized tire is any tire whose height and width totals greater than 60 inches. Typically a tire whose measurements are greater than 60 inches is difficult to manually move at the collection locations. For disposal of these tires, please contact our office to schedule a drop-off time at our facility.
- From May 1st through August 31st, Saginaw County Citizens can also call to have our tire crew pick up your tires. (989) 755-5751
Residential Tire Pick Ups
In 2004 legislation was passed in Michigan making it illegal to dump used tires into landfills. This has caused an increase in tires found in ditches, fields, woods, and backyards. Since 2004 the Mid Michigan Solid Waste Authority and the Saginaw County Mosquito Abatement Commission (SCMAC) have worked together to help eliminate old tires across Saginaw County. The Mid Michigan Solid Waste Authority has provided a grant to help offset the cost of collecting and disposing of old tires. This grant has been utilized by SCMAC to hire two seasonal Tire Collection Technicians. The role of these technicians is to collect tires from around Saginaw County. Tires are picked up from sites where tires have been dumped as well as from residents who are unable to visit one of our three tire drives. If you wish to have tires picked up please call our office at (989) 755-5751. The criteria for accepting tires for pick up is the same as those for our tire drives.
Occasionally, we also assist property owners in the removal of large tire piles from closed businesses or dump sites. If you have more than 10 tires or wish to report a large tire site, please call and speak to our Director or Operations Manager to see if your site qualifies for assistance in the removal of the tires. Sites of more than 100 tires will be inspected by SCMAC staff to determine origin before a decision is made regarding mosquito control accepting tires.